For many, learning to navigate appears to be a dark art where mysterious forces and people with anoraks wonder the mountains with their heads permanently fixed to a map. Thankfully this is far from the truth and the basic skills you need to navigate are relatively simple to grasp and will ensure you have safer days in the outdoors. Our Back To Basics Navigation Course will take you back to the beginning and give you the skills you need to navigate in a fun and engaging environment.
This course is delivered in the following locations, please check the booking section at the bottom for location details for each specific course. Full meeting location and other important details are sent out once you confirm your place.
Hope, Peak District (S33 6ZF)
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire (WS15 2UQ)
Course Content -
- Route planning (Where to find route info and how to plan a day out)
- Maps and scales (What’s the difference between a 1:25000 map and a 1:50000)
- Map symbols and features (Learn what all the symbols and markings on a map mean)
- How height is shown on the map (Masterclass in contours and elevation)
- How to use the compass.
- Orientating the map
- How to use all the skills to navigate a journey
All of the above will be covered outdoors allowing you to learn and then practice all the techniques during our walk.
All of our instructors are highly qualified Mountaineering Instructors or Mountain Leaders who take pride in offering engaging - fun courses that will give you the very best chance of achieving your goals. We are also members of Mountain Training, the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (AMI) and the British Mountaineering Council. Why not check out our google reviews and see what our clients think about us.
Who’s this course aimed at?
Our Back To Basics navigation course is ideal for the beginner or novice who is looking to learn how to read a map and use a compass so they can enjoy the outdoors. You don’t need any prior experience and our small group sizes ensure you will be given a more individual learning experience throughout the day. This course is also ideal for people who have previous experience of using maps and compass but need a refresher of the basic skills after some time away from the outdoors.
This course is a practical day which will involve spending most of the day walking in the outdoors. A full kit list and meeting location details will be sent once your booking is received.
All participants must be aged 18 or over! 16+ are allowed when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Can't find what you're looking for? Why not hire an instructor for the day on a date to suit you. Click below for more information.learn more
- COURSE DATE DAYS COST LOCATION PLACES BOOKING
- COURSE DATE 30-07-2022DAYS1 COST£70.00 LOCATIONPeak District PLACESFULL BOOKING Waiting List
- COURSE DATE 20-08-2022DAYS1 COST£70.00 LOCATIONCannock Chase - Staffs PLACES6 BOOKING book now
- COURSE DATE 08-10-2022DAYS1 COST£70.00 LOCATIONPeak District PLACES6 BOOKING book now