The Rock Skills course is your key to getting started in the world of climbing! No previous experience of climbing is required to attend a Rock Skills Introduction course because the content of the course is aimed at complete beginners. If you do have some experience of climbing but aren’t confident about using the equipment required, finding the crags, locating the routes you want to do and how to stay safe on the crag then a Rock Skills Introduction course is an ideal way to learn. We have a list below of skills that we can teach you over the two days and this will all be dependent on ability and comfort levels. Our main priority is getting you climbing and ensuring you come away with solid skills that will ensure a good progression into climbing.
What can the Rock Skills Introduction course cover?
- Background and Planning. An awareness of the types of places you can climb in the UK and Ireland, how to use guidebooks and mobile devices to find crags and routes, crag etiquette and the work of the mountaineering councils.
- Climbing Skills. Fundamental movement skills and climbing styles.
- Footwear and Equipment. Footwear and equipment selection and how to use the kit you choose.
- Technical Skills. Tying into a harness, belaying, spotting and how to abseil. Environmental Knowledge. The impact of climbers at the crag, ethics, access and environmental considerations for climbers.
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures. Identifying hazards, managing risk, understanding common injuries, how to get help and the role of Mountain Rescue and associated emergency services.
Registration with Mountain Training
You can join this course without registering with Mountain Training UK if you are happy to gain the experience of the course without the certificate of attendance, logbook and handbook. The registration is quick, easy and amazingly good value though. You can join our course in Wales whether you are registered with Mountain Training in England, Wales or Scotland.
Click Here To Register With Mountain Training.
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU REGISTER WITH MOUNTAIN TRAINING?
• BMC rock climbing booklet
• A certificate of attendance for completing either course
• Lifetime use of our digital logbook (DLOG) for recording all mountain related activities
Why use the Mountaineering Company.
My main aim is to enable you to learn the skills you need in a fun and engaging environment. I purposely keep groups sizes small to ensure maximum learning so that myself or our instructors can focus more on you and what you need. I do on occasion bring in one of my friends to instruct or run session for me. All of my friends are qualified instructors with years of experience and hold the relevant qualifications, first aid and insurance for the course they will be leading.
All climbing equipment is included in this session at no extra cost. We supply helmets, harnesses and belay devices and will show you how to fit and use all the equipment safely.
You can pay your deposit by selecting the date you wish to book from the drop down box below and clicking Pay Now. I will contact you with course details and a kit list once your deposit is received. Full payment must be made prior to the course or on the day.
Can't find what you're looking for? Why not hire an instructor for the day on a date to suit you. Click below for more information.learn more